By Ziauddin Sardar
Assesses the position of technology within the improvement of Islamic and Western civilisations, in bringing to them additional usual niches. query: What occurred to ethical values within the technique.
Read Online or Download The Touch of Midas: Science, Values and Environment in Islam and the West PDF
Best islam books
The Paradoxes of affection explores the subject of mystical love. The heart's dating to God is without doubt one of the maximum mysteries, for he's either some distance and close to, either impressive and intimate. Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee seems at a few of the paradoxes of the trail, and the way those seeming opposites are united in the middle.
On December 18, 1499, the Muslims in Granada revolted opposed to the Christian urban government's makes an attempt to suppress their rights to stay and worship as fans of Islam. even supposing the Granada rebellion was once an area phenomenon that was once quickly contained, next frequent uprising supplied the Christian executive with an excuse—or justification, as its leaders observed things—to embark at the systematic removal of the Islamic presence from Spain, in addition to from the Iberian Peninsula as a complete, over the following hundred years.
Exploring the expanding effect of the net on Muslims world wide, this ebook sheds new mild at the nature of latest Islamic discourse, id, and neighborhood. the net has profoundly formed how either Muslims and non-Muslims understand Islam and the way Islamic societies and networks are evolving and transferring within the twenty-first century, says Gary Bunt.
In November of 2002, the Justice and improvement celebration swept to victory within the Turkish parliamentary elections. as a result of party's Islamic roots, its electoral triumph has sparked a number of questions either in Turkey and within the West: Does the occasion harbor a mystery Islamist time table? Will the hot govt search to overturn approximately a century of secularization stemming from Kemal Atatürk's early-twentieth-century reforms?
- L'inconscient de l'Islam
- Recalling the Caliphate: Decolonisation and World Order
- Le Sceau des saints: Prophétie et sainteté dans la doctrine d’Ibn Arabî
- Crime and Punishment in Islamic Law: Theory and Practice from the Sixteenth to the Twenty-First Century (Themes in Islamic Law)
- Muslim Women in War and Crisis: Representation and Reality
- The Diseases of the Hearts and Their Cures
Additional resources for The Touch of Midas: Science, Values and Environment in Islam and the West
9. 6. G. Collingwood, The Idea of History, Oxford University Press, London, 1961. See also his An Autobiography, Oxford University Press, London, r939, and The Idea of Nature, Oxford University Press, London, 1945. Despite Collingwood's interest in science, it should be noted that his analysis contains only inchoate 7. traces of what is outlined here. D. Bernal, The Social Function of Science, Routledge, and Kegan Paul, London, 1939, and Science in History, Watts, London, 1954. 8. G. , Williams and 9.
H. Sadr,'An Islamic View of Science', Pakistan Journal of Science, 31, pp. 3-6 (1979); See also: Muhammad Akbar, 'Science and Islam', Pakistan Review, I9(6), pp. o-zi (1971); Sayed J. Naqvi, 'Science and the Religion of Islam', Al-Ittihad, 14 (1-2), pp. z6-3o (1977); M. Raziuddin Siddiqui, 'Religion and Science', Islamic Order, 3 (3), PP- 38-44 (1981); and Mahmood Abu Saud, 'Science and Islamic Resurgence', The Muslim Scientist, 9 (3-4), pp. 1-9 (198o). 19. The Qur'ân, 32: 7-9. 20. Quoted by Ziauddin Sardar, 'A Revival for Islam, A Boost for Science', Nature 282, PP- 354-7 (1979).
At its worst this `formaldehyde' analysis of Islamic science then attempts to cleanse this science of its Islamic content completely. Yet there was an Islamic science worthy of an independent existence that dealt with the questions raised within its own framework of ideas. To reclaim the possibility of an Islamic science that is more than what Muslims discover qua Western scientists operating within the framework of values and concerns of the West, it is important to explain how this myth arose and how it became universally accepted.
- Life Hacks by Keith Bradford
- Numerische Mathematik für Anfänger by Gerhard Opfer (auth.)