By H. James Birx
Surveying the most important proof, innovations, theories, and speculations that infuse our current comprehension of time, the Encyclopedia of Time: technological know-how, Philosophy, Theology, & Culture explores the contributions of scientists, philosophers, theologians, and artistic artists from precedent days to the current. by means of drawing jointly into one assortment rules from students worldwide and in quite a lot of disciplines, this Encyclopedia will offer readers with a better knowing of and appreciation for the elusive phenomenon skilled as time.
* Surveys old thought of time, together with these principles that emerged in old Greece, early Christianity, the Italian Renaissance, the Age of Enlightenment, and different periods
* Covers the unique and lasting insights of evolutionary biologist Charles Darwin, physicist Albert Einstein, thinker Alfred North Whitehead, and theologian Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
* Discusses the importance of time within the writings of Isaac Asimov, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Fyodor M. Dostoevsky, Francesco Petrarch, H. G. Wells, and diverse different authors
* includes the contributions of naturalists and religionists, together with astronomers, cosmologists, physicists, chemists, geologists, paleontologists, anthropologists, psychologists, philosophers, and theologians
* comprises artists’ portrayals of the fluidity of time, together with painter Salvador Dali’s The endurance of Memory and The Discovery of the United States by way of Christopher Columbus, and writers Gustave Flaubert’s The Temptation of Saint Anthony and Henryk Sienkiewicz’s Quo Vadis
* presents a very interdisciplinary method, with discussions of Aztec, Buddhist, Christian, Egyptian, Ethiopian, Hindu, Islamic, Navajo, and lots of different cultures’ conceptions of time
Read Online or Download Encyclopedia of Time: Science, Philosophy, Theology, & Culture PDF
Best reference books
The develop picture Library (BGL) provides skilled C++ builders top of the range implementations of quite a lot of graph information constructions and algorithms -- assisting them keep time that might in a different way were spent on constructing and debugging. Now, the BGL's creators supply a whole instructional and reference designed to aid builders get effects with the BGL fast.
The area Almanac® and ebook of evidence is the USA s top-selling reference booklet of all time, with greater than eighty million copies offered. released every year when you consider that 1868, this compendium of knowledge is the authoritative resource for your entire leisure, reference, and studying wishes. Praised as a treasure trove of political, fiscal, clinical and academic statistics and data by way of the Wall road magazine, the realm Almanac® comprises millions of evidence which are unavailable publicly in other places in reality, it's been featured as a class on Jeopardy!
- The Wagner Operas
- The Evaluation of Worldwide Digital Reference Services in Libraries
- Film Posters Exploitation
- The CIA World Factbook 2015
- Countdown to Preparedness: The Prepper's Six-Week Course to Total Disaster Readiness
- Manuscript Makeover: Revision Techniques No Fiction Writer Can Afford to Ignore
Additional info for Encyclopedia of Time: Science, Philosophy, Theology, & Culture
In laboratory settings, the maximal life span of specimens is often similar. For example, the median life span of a housefly is around 30 days and of a rat approximately 3 years. The maximum human life span is approximately 100 years, although in rare instances, individuals have lived as long as 115 years. In general it is possible to distinguish between systemic and genetic theories of aging. Systemic theories propose that there is a systemic pacemaker for aging. One theory claims that the hypothalamus, a structure in the brain, has the function of a biological hourglass that begins to deteriorate in its hormonal output with the progress of time.
In general it is possible to distinguish between systemic and genetic theories of aging. Systemic theories propose that there is a systemic pacemaker for aging. One theory claims that the hypothalamus, a structure in the brain, has the function of a biological hourglass that begins to deteriorate in its hormonal output with the progress of time. This could lead to disorganization in the body’s homeostasis (balance of body functions). A second theory is that the involution of the thymus, an immune system organ responsible for the imprint of T lymphocytes (T cells), leads to lower immunity.
Boston: Adamant Media. Aydon, C. (2002). Charles Darwin. Philadelphia: Running Press. Barbour, J. (1999). The end of time: The next revolution in physics. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. Barrow, J. D. (2005). The infinite book: A short guide to the boundless, timeless, and endless. New York: Random House/Vintage Books. Bergson, H. (2007). Creative evolution (K. A. Pearson, M. Kolkman, & M. ). New York: Palgrave Macmillan. (Original work published 1907) Birx, H. J. (1984). Theories of evolution.
- The art of doing science and engineering : learning to learn by Richard W. Hamming
- Praktikum der Physiologischen Chemie: Erster Teil by Peter Rona