By Henry Pelling (auth.)
This textual content offers an introductory account of the Labour celebration from its beginning. It not just covers the interval as much as and together with the election of Neil Kinnock because the chief of the Labour social gathering but additionally concentrates at the difficulties of the parliamentary leadership.
Read Online or Download A Short History of the Labour Party PDF
Best history_2 books
Translation and prologue by means of Carlos Pereyra
The Plantagenets reigned over England longer than the other relatives - from Henry II, to Richard III. 4 kings have been murdered, got here with regards to deposition and one other was once killed in a conflict via rebels. Shakespeare wrote performs approximately six of them, additional entrenching them within the nationwide Myth.
Based on significant modern assets and up to date learn, acclaimed historian Desmond Seward presents the 1st readable assessment of the complete remarkable dynasty, in a single quantity.
- Roman de la Rose: A Study in Allegory and Iconography
- Germany is our problem
- Faking It!. A History of Counterfeiting in Canada
- History of intellectual development : on the lines of modern evolution
- Poisons Et Sortilèges, Volume 2 : Les Médicis, Les Bourbons, La Science au XXe Siècle
- L’enigma Dorieo
Additional info for A Short History of the Labour Party
6. M. I. Cole, op. cit. p. 141. 7. George Young, quoted Maddox, Foreign Relations in British Labour Politics, p. 74. 8. Henderson to Inkpin, 11 Sept. 1920, quoted in Labour Party AMual Report (1921), p. 19. FURTHER READING Dr. McKibbin's study, mentioned on p. 34, is the best account of organisational developments. See also Royden Harrison, 'The War Emergency National Workers' Committee, 1914-1920', in A. Briggs andj. Saville, Essays in Labour History, 1886-1923 ( 1971 ); andj. M. Winter,Socialism and the Challenge ef War ( 1974).
P. and various other smaller left-wing groups on a basis of support for the Russian Bolsheviks. P. had been affiliated to the Labour Party since 1916, and it might have seemed natural for the new party also to have secured affiliation as a Socialist society. s The decision was an indication of the hardening discipline of the party as well as of its hostility to extreme revolutionary tactics. The decision of the Executive was endorsed by a large majority at the 192 1 Labour Party Conference. In 1922 came a new general election and with it the reward for the skilful generalship of Henderson in the preceding eight years.
But in 1906 there had been only eightythree of both types of organisation put together. These organisations, which in most cases secured affiliations both from local trade-union branches and from local branches of the Socialist societies, were especially important for strengthening the party's hold in the constituencies. In other ways, too, the party was constantly developing its strength. It had a national agent and two full-time party agents for visiting the constituencies; it also paid subsidies towards the maintenance of twenty local agents.
- The Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital by Robert Finkel, David Greising
- The History of Consumer Credit: Doctrines and Practices by Rosa-Maria Gelpi, François Julien-Labruyère (auth.)